Friday, June 18, 2010

The Reason Behind Supporting A Team

It's World Cup 2010!

All we friends are divided into teams like Argentina, Brazil, Germany, England, Portugal & so on. It's just not about supporting a Team, but also passing about odd comments over other teams & we friends are constantly fighting over it. Brazil scores, Argentina fans gets sick. And if Messi somehow fails to live to the expectation, all Brazil fans will come forward to say how stupid team Argentina always been.

I was sickened after hearing some odd comments about Argentina from a close friend of mine couple of days ago. So when I was alone, I started to give it a thought, why he supports Brazil. Man why I support Argentina? I had no perfect answer. Still kept trying and below is what I figured out.

I can show reasons behind supporting Argentina cause I like Latin football style. But Brazil is almost identical to that. So why not supporting Brazil? No answer this time.

I won't talk about football much. I rather talk about Cricket, I understand cricket a hell lot better and watch much more often. Well, I support India! And the question knocks in again. Why supporting India? Why not Pakistan or Sri Lanka? Or Australia?

Well I started to support India since I started to watch Cricket before going to school even. All of my family members supported India, Tendulkar was then in superb form & Novojit Singh Sidhu was quite a six heater. I used to watch test matches, one days whole day cause I was left in home only with my elder brother who used to be quite busy with his studies. Supporting India comes from that part of life & when India played against Bangladesh, I had quite a hard time when I should be happy. When India hits 6 or when a wicket falls... lol. Already from that point of time, I had to fight with local picchis (little childs as you say :P) how India is the true champ. Time passed by, and whole school life I fought with and quarreled with Pakistan supporters, something we learnt from our elders.

My point is, the reason behind supporting particular team is not something we mostly directly do. Our family, friends, even religion influences. And why fighting over something which actually we directly don't choose? And with our fights, we made it harder for us to appreciate others or shift our support to another team.

And at this point of my life, I feel in between this fights, we often (or max times? ) lose the true spirit behind games. We forget to appreciate the better playing team & sarcasm grow on us. If we still have to divide us among different teams, let's not forget to appreciate others & encourage. That's the true spirit and sign of a true winner.



P.S I think you are right, Argentina plays slightly better than most other football playing teams :P

2 comments: