Saturday, August 07, 2010

Avro in Ubuntu 10.04

Few days back, dad was yelling at me. Why? Cause "Bijoy" was not working on my Win7. It had Avro already installed, but I don't know probably some mishap happened to the fonts, nothing was being displayed. I was so annoyed.

Good thing was I had dual boot with Ubuntu (10.04). So I tried to write Bangla by going to system > preferences > keyboard. There I added the Bangla keyboard. By that was not a great solution. It was not the Bijoy Layout, so I could not write anything useful. Then I googled a bit and came up with a solution which made my use the iBus.

This is how it was done ... System > Preferences >  IBus Preferences ... There I had to go to the Input method > Bangla > unijoy ! Thing was done :) I successfully wrote the thing dad was asking me to.

Then, I wanted to use Avro Phonetic Bangla. That thing is amazing I mean. So googled a bit. Luckily I followed Mehedi Hasan (Avro/omicronlab Lab Head). There I got a link which made me use scim and follow some other steps. However I failed to run Avro. I needed to install a package.

This is what I did to get Avro running in Ubuntu 10.04

1) Install scim from Ubuntu Software Center.
2) Download installer from http://scim-avro.googlecode.com/files/scim-avro_0.0.2-1ubuntu9.10_i386.deb
3) Change permission [Mark as executable]
4) Here I want you to do something which will help you in the step 5 .
Open Terminal & write
      sudo apt-get install scim-anthy
5) Again in terminal type
      im-switch -c
  
   You get this

Now you will see available options to choose from, watch the number beside scim. I have scim in 6, probably you'll have it in 6 too, if no, change the number

6) Now log off and log in again from your system or simply restart your system.

7) Open gedit or any text editor, and press  (ctrl + SPACE) , now you get AVRO PHONETIC started :) , press (ctrl + SPACE) to switch back to English. Simple as that.



For the original Avro step by step guide :

  http://www.omicronlab.com/blog/support/avro-phonetic-in-ubuntu-linux-lucid-lynx/

  http://omicronlab.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2029

No comments:

Post a Comment